COVID-19 information for our workforce
COVID-19 information for our workforce

Experience, qualifications and requirements.

How much post-grad experience do I need?

You will need a minimum of two years clinical experience after graduating. Not there yet? Don’t worry: we’re part of the Alliance Nursing network – they have a wide range of highly rewarding and stimulating roles. Check them out for roles you can do now, and come back to us when you’re ready.

Visit Alliance Nursing

What qualifications do I need?

The type of qualifications, professional development certificates and immunisations you need will vary depending on the type of work, location and experience you apply for. We can talk you through it when you register to join us.

Register to find out more

I am an EN, what courses do i need?

If you’re looking for contracts in the position of a Registered Nurse, we will require you to have two years clinical experience working in the scope of a Registered Nurse. Agency nurses are expected to “hit the ground running”, so this experience will be valuable to you in rural and remote nursing.

What kind of contracts do you offer?

The options are wide and varied, both long and short term. Generally, they range from 4 to 12 weeks. The more flexible and open you can be, the more contract choices and options you will see. Once we’ve seen your CV, we can advise you on where it would be best to place you.

What certificates do I need?

This will vary depending on the type of work, location and experience you apply for. REC, MEC and Pharmacotherapeutics certificates will certainly provide more contract opportunities, as will an immunisation endorsement. However, these are not required in order to take on new contracts. Certain locations and health districts do require nurses to have these certificates, however it’s not necessary to work with us.

Do you need Endorsed Enrolled Nurses?

Yes, but less than for Registered Nurses. We need and love our EENs, but contracts in rural/remote agency nursing can be irregular. Register with us, but then register with our colleagues at Alliance Nursing for more regular opportunities.

I'm a qualified Immunisation Nurse

Generally, we don’t receive rural or remote contracts solely for Immunisation Nurses. However, as part of our Corporate Health program we do engage casual Immunisation Nurses for varioy services. So, if you’re looking for casual work, we’d love to hear from you.

Learn more about our vaccination programs

Is there an age limit?

No. If you are in good physical and mental health and able to perform the needs of a nursing position, then please apply.

I’ll need sponsoring: can you do that?

No. But our colleagues at Alliance Nursing may be able to help. They have a dedicated team of international Recruitment Consultants to support you through the entire process. From initial questions, to AHPRA registration support, to inductions once you’ve arrived. And they have teams in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia.

Find out more

Do I need to be vaccinated?

Yes. Usually, facilities require nurses to have been vaccinated against Hepatitis B, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Varicella and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (if born after 1966). If you can’t have one of these due to an allergic reaction, facilities will generally accept a signed letter from your doctor stating as such.

Do you provide insurance?

Yes. We provide the coverage you need - professional indemnity insurance, workers comp. and associated business insurances - while you’re working on assignment for us.

Contracts and rates.

The difference: agency vs placement rates?

Agency rates mean you are paid by us each week. Placement rates mean you are paid directly by the facility you’re working for. While this is generally less than agency rates, you may have the benefit of sick leave, annual leave and rostered days off. We will always let you know what your rates and options are before you decide whether to take the position.

Is agency work consistent?

Yes, and no. We usually have more jobs than we have nurses. But flexibility is key. The broader your skillset and the wider your geographic availability, the more positions there are. We cannot guarantee work. So why not keep your options open and sign up to a casual pool closer to home as well as registering with us?

How much will I be paid?

There’s no flat rate. It will depend on several factors. However, it is more than casual rates, and a little more than placement rates (see next FAQ).

How long are the contracts?

That varies. However, most contracts average between 4-12 weeks.

General questions.

Work and travel partner, family or pet?

That will depend on the specific role or position. Most facilities offer single-person accommodation. If you need more space (for family, loved ones or pets) you may have to pay for that yourself. You’ll also have to cover their travel expenses. One option is to travel with a caravan or in a campervan. Some facilities will even allow you to park onsite.

What kind of support is available?

We pride ourselves on the support we offer to our nurses whilst on contract. We’ll check in with you regularly to ensure all is going well. We’re always available on the other end of the phone if you have any issues. Your safety is of the upmost importance, so we also have an out-of-hours emergency phone with a consultant on call.

What about accommodation?

Usually, accommodation is provided free of charge. It could be a nurses’ quarters, a unit or house that is rented by the facility, or a share house. However, some facilities offer accommodation at a subsidised cost or for a weekly rental fee. We will always let you know what the accommodation provisions of each contract are.

Will I get help with travel?

In most cases, help with travel is provided. However, the level of help will vary. We have an in-house travel consultant to help you work out the best travel options, make the bookings for you, and send you a travel itinerary.

Any other questions?

We're here to help.